Getting locked out of your house might be one of the most stressful situations for anyone. There might be emergencies if you have kids or b pets inside your home. No need to worry so much because, in This article, we will share all possible solutions for when you are locked outside your home.
Solution 1: Ask for help
The first thing to do in this situation is not to panic and think rationally. You can call your roommate, family, or partner who lives with you and ask them to help you get in the house. You might cause inconvenience and wait for some time, but it’s better than breaking the door or windows. If you live in a rented house, you can call your landlord as landlords usually have a spare key and are generally close to the place. It’s the easiest when you live in an apartment complex, as all you are required to do is contact the apartment manager and ask for access to your unit. You must carry your identity proof with you and May be charged a service fee for the key.
Solution 2: See If a Window Is Open
This is not safe if you have mistakenly or intentionally kept a window open, as this may be dangerous if a burglar or stray/wild animal enters your house. This might be the best thing, but if your window is open, it’ll work in your favor, and this situation will be considered good luck because then you are not required to make calls or break the door to Get in. You should also check the back door if you forgot to lock the backdoor just as you forgot your keys. Also, keep your reasons ready to explain to the passerby while you are trying to climb through the window.
Solution 3: Call a locksmith
Even though locksmiths are costly, it’s a quick, neat, easy, and safe solution to your problem. A locksmith may cost you $30- $60 for the services. You can call an emergency locksmith if you have kids or pets inside the house.
Solution 4: Improvise tools
You can try to open the lock with DIY tools. You must’ve seen movies and series where people open the door locks with hairpins and credit cards; well, movies aren’t all lies, and if you are lucky enough, you can also open them with improvised tools. Follow the steps below to open the lock with Bobby pins and paper clips:
- Take-Two Bobby pins or paper pins. Bend one piece into an “L” and straighten the other one. Now bend the end of the straight piece into a “W.”
- Now put the “L” shaped piece Into the keyhole to maintain the tension in the lock.
- Now put the “W” shaped piece into the lock and push it upwards to unlock it. Try to do this again and again until the lock opens. If it still doesn’t help, call an emergency locksmith.
Follow the steps below to open the lock with a plastic card
- Take a plastic card, preferably a shopping card or a membership card, which you wouldn’t mind if it got destroyed. Avoid using important cards like debit/credit cards.
- Now put the card between the door frame and the lock.
- Slide the card inside and push it alongside the lock.
- Apply force on the door while pushing the card inside, and while applying pressure, rotate the doorknob.
- Now the card is between the lock and the door frame, rotate the doorknob one more time, and the door will open.
Solution 5: Take off the doorknob
This is also an easy solution to this problem. You can get rid of the doorknob itself to enter the house. There are different types of doorknobs. Most of them can be taken off with the help of a couple of basic tools such as a hammer and screwdriver. Remove all the screws From the doorknob with the use of a screwdriver. Now remove the doorknob, and you can enter your home. You can also take help from your neighbors for this.
Solution 6: Break-in
Break-in is the final solution; one should try to get into their house when locked outside. You should do it only if you have an emergency. While breaking in, it is advised to do so through the back door instead of the front door, as it may cause a scene. You should also avoid breaking in through the window if it’s not a do-or-die situation as it’s dangerous. And breaking a window is not as easy as it appears. You can also take help from your friends or friendly neighbors.